We have developed a rigorous multi-step hiring process. This process helps us ensure we're hiring the best and most qualified talent. We're not only looking for a knowledge set, but for a set of competencies - we're looking for people who are passionate about their work and who have the personality traits and mental skills that lead to success in their role.
Because our company is entirely distributed, our hiring process is entirely conducted by phone. We won't ever meet you face-to-face during this process. We'd love to be able to call you via Skype rather than telephone because Skype offers much greater audio quality. If you have a Skype handle you'd like us to use for contact, please include it in your resume or cover letter. However, we don't want to talk on Skype unless you own a headset. Talking through the microphone built into your laptop or webcam presents way too much noise and echo.
- Submit a Resume - This is your first step. This is how we will find out about you. Every role has a special email address set up, so find the address in the job ad and send your resume there. It can only help you to send a cover letter outlining the specific technologies or methodologies you've worked with that match our needs. Show us you've read the job ad and looked over this website and understand how our company works!
- Telephone Pre-Screen - If your resume shows you to be qualified for the job, you'll get a phone call from our Project Manager. You'll be asked a series of questions covering basic knowledge relevant to your role. Anyone who is qualified for the job will be able to answer these questions with ease. This isn't your interview, you don't need to impress us on the pre-screen, this is just a chance for us to make sure you understand the role you're applying for and that you're ready to be interviewed. So don't be nervous - if you've done this kind of work before, you'll do just fine on the pre-screen! Don't be alarmed when we ask you what your salary expectation is during the pre-screen. We want to give you the chance to be comfortable knowing that we know your expectations. If you'd prefer not to discuss salary this early in the game, we won't hold it against you at all! The pre-screen takes about 15-45 minutes depending on the role, and if we call you at an inconvenient time we're perfectly happy to call back at the time of your choosing.
- First Interview - We'll have a conference call with you and at least 2 members of the hiring team. The person asking you questions will be someone currently working in your role. The interview will last for about an hour. We'll ask you a lot of questions about your past experiences, we'll ask you to solve some interesting problems on the fly, and we'll ask you to see a sample of your past work so that we can discuss your approach to working. The interview will last about an hour and we'll schedule it with you at least a day before we call.
- Practical Test - If you performed well on your interview, we'll move you on to the practical test. We'll assign you a very small task to complete that is similar to the kind of day-to-day work you'll do in this role. We respect the value of your time and labor and so we will pay you for completion of this task. We won't use the results of your work as a deliverable for our clients, it is simply a means of seeing how you perform on a realistic concrete task. We expect the task assignment to take you 4-6 hours to complete but we will give you a 24 hour period of your choosing to complete it.
- Second Interview - If we like your work on the practical test, we will give you another interview with one or both of the company owners. By this point we're fully confident that you're qualified for the job but we may need to decide between multiple qualified candidates, we may want to follow up regarding some concerns, or we may simply want to ensure that you'll thrive in our environment. The purpose of this interview will be to follow up on any questions raised by your practical test, to answer any questions you have about the role, to make sure you understand what our work environment is like, and that we're all on the same page regarding expectations from the role.
- Offer of Employment - If everything goes well in the second interview, you'll very shortly receive an offer of employment, which we hope you'll accept!
The whole process from resume to offer will take from 2-4 weeks.